Homemade Moose Tracks Ice Cream Sandwiches
Take your ice cream sandwich game to a whole new level with these sandwiches. The chocolate sandwich cookies are homemade, which, combined with the Moose Tracks ice cream, is heavenly!
What You’ll Need:
- ¾ cups of cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 cups of Moose Tracks ice cream (about a half-gallon carton)
- Whisk cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and flour in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Beat until light and fluffy on medium-high speed, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium and add eggs and vanilla. Beat until fluffy, about a minute.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add the mixing bowl of dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each in plastic, pressing down to form large, thick disks.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and remove one of the dough disks from the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper into a large 1/8” thick rectangle, dusting with more flour as needed.
- Now it’s time to form the cookies. We used an ice cream sandwich maker mold to get perfect sized sandwiches, but you can also cut out the cookies and make sandwiches freehand. If you’re using a mold, skip the next step.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 4” x 1.5” rectangles, and then use a thin metal spatula to transfer rectangles to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once you’re finished with the first dough disk, put the baking sheet in the fridge to keep the cut-out cookies chilled. Remove the other dough disk from the fridge. Repeat the process. You should end up with about 30 cookies. Prick the cookies with a fork in a few places.
- Bake cookies until edges are firm, about 12 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, remove the carton of Moose Tracks from the freezer and allow to soften for a few minutes.
- Scoop ice cream onto a cookie, using a spatula to smooth out the top and sides. Top with another cookie.
- Place into a 13”x9” baking dish and freeze immediately.
- Continue assembling sandwiches, making sure to keep the ice cream cold enough that it stays firm.
- Once the sandwiches have all been assembled, cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and freeze until hard, at least 2 hours.
September 21, 2020