10 Facts About Ice Cream You Probably Didn’t Know
August 2, 2023
For the past 35 years, Moose Tracks has been perfecting the art of ice cream. Along the way, we learned a thing or two about this irresistible frozen dessert.
Here are some fun and random facts about ice cream that you probably didn’t know:
- The most popular ice cream flavor is vanilla, followed by chocolate.
- Chocolate ice cream was invented before vanilla ice cream.
- In 1851, the first recorded industrial ice cream production began in Boston, MA, USA.
- Ever wondered what brain freeze is and why it happens? When the nerve endings in the roof of your mouth send signals to your brain of loss of heat, you get a brain freeze, AKA an ice cream headache.
- America accounts for the largest ice cream consumption in the world; the average person consumes about 48 pints of ice cream per year.
- The ice cream industry in the United States generates over $21 billion dollars.
- It takes 12 pounds of milk to make one gallon of ice cream.
- July is National Ice Cream Month in the United States.
- Check out our favorite activities to do on National Ice Cream Day!
- The very first ice cream parlor opened in New York City.
- 90% of American households consume ice cream.
Want to learn more about ice cream? Our blog on the History of Ice Cream has loads of information on how this frozen treat became famous all over the world.